Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

Cinnamon Raisin - Dorie G's version

So as you know I've made a couple of cinnamon raisin bread which I haven't been happy with, either the recipe called for an insane amount of baking time thus burning the bread or it was ridiculously sweet. This time, the bread seemed perfect :) Thank you Dorie Greenspan. This time I used a recipe from her book "Baking - From my home to yours' Page 59-60. I am not going to share her recipe as I'm sure it would just be repeating information. Instead this post will be about lessons learnt. If you'd like please do visit her website http://www.doriegreenspan.com/

The recipe used a lot more butter than I'm used to (but then I didn't like the previous versions either). The recipe also used a lot of milk as well which I guess was important for a soft cake like texture. What I absolutely loved in this recipe, was the amount of sugar it used. It was just barely sweet which is how cinnamon raisin bread should be. In my books, Cin Ra bread should be dying to have some jam spread on it or want some sweet butter melt on it. This bread, was perfect for that.  If you want to try some cinnamon raisin bread and don't want it overly sweet. This is THE recipe to try.

Dough roll that isn't tucked in at the end.
 Lessons Learnt
  • Don't brush the un-baked bread with leftover cinnamon-sugar mixture. Although it looks pretty darn good (see 2nd picture above), the cinnamon turns bitter after baking for 40 ish minutes in a hot oven. Follow the recipe and only brush with leftover butter which gives the bread a good color.
  • Do shape the loaf as instructed and tuck in the ends. I made two mini-loaves, one without tucking and one with. The one without tasted the same obviously, however it didn't look pretty once it baked. As the seam rose higher than the loaf pan in the oven and was quite obvious once done. It was still tasty though :) The above pic (3rd one from above) is of the loaf without the tucked in ends.
  • Pinch in the seam of the swirled loaf. Wet your fingers and pinch it just enough for making the seam stick to side of the dough. Not pinching the seam won't hinder the baking process, however, what happens is that the bread's swirl 'comes undone' while it is being sliced in which isn't pretty to look at.

Smiley Cinnamon Raisin Loaf
Here's the smiley loaf :) Don't ask me how to recreate that, I think that was just pure luck, which is of course even more charming.

We enjoyed this lovely bread with some marionberry jam, chai. Other ways to enjoy this? Make french toast... speaking of which... maybe that's what I should make this week...

15 comments:

  1. Yum - nothing better than a great loaf of cinnamon bread. I agree - use this for french toast and that would be a supreme breakfast. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore cinnamon bread. My mother used to make french toast from it when it started to get stale. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks inviting and scrumptious.Cannot go rong ith Dorrie. She knows what she's doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good! Love Dorie! Good for you making it, some of her recipes are challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bread turned out beautiful and so professional looking! This would be the recipe for me too, since it's not too sweet. Thank you for your tips on shaping the bread and about the bitterness of the cinnamon if used on top - I've experienced that before in other baked goods.

    Also, thank you Shree for the follow on Google Connect ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so good...great job there, and love the smiley bread photo:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! I think I could eat that whole roll!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dorie Greenspan has wonderful baking recipes!! I love your "smiley" loaf LOL Apart from being adorable, it also looks downright delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh it looks so good! Looks perfect sliced open!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cinnamon Raisin bread is always a treat to back and eat. The warm spicy aroma that fills the kitchen and house is always inviting when this is in the oven.

    Bon appetit!
    =:~)

    ReplyDelete
  11. home made cinnamon bread is gotta be true comfort food!!! I bet the house smelled heavenly while it was baking.....It looks like it came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ everyone THANK YOU!!!!Y'all are so kind :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Shree, this looks great! I love cinnamon bread to be just a tad sweet too-the raisins should do most of with work for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just like cinnabon, but easier to make and lot healthier to eat! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Stella - Thank you
    @ Pam -- LOVE that. That is an awesome way to describe cinnamon bread, like cinnabon but much more healthier :))

    ReplyDelete