Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

Blueberry, Walnut Oatmeal


When I first came to the United States and tried the healthy and wonderful oatmeal, I was quite disappointed to find it sickly sweet, mushy and very bland. Needless to say I was trying the grocery store variety which is laden with sugar to make it more appealing. I didn't touch oatmeal for years, until recently when I learnt about steel cut oats and 'regular' oats versus the instant variety. I was shocked, what? oatmeal that isn't ridiculously sugary? Can it be? ... ever since then, I have been buying 'regular' oatmeal and loving it :)
 
Here's one of my favorite ways to have it.  I add as much blueberries as the oatmeal allows and combine it with the mild floral sweetness of honey and the crunchiness and nuttiness of walnuts. Another plus is the fact that we get blueberries from our garden and this is a wonderful way to eat them up :)

This recipe is perfect for a heavy breakfast or a light lunch for one.
Ingredients
  • ¼ cup of uncooked oatmeal
  • ¼ cup of roughly chopped walnuts
  • 1 cup of fresh blueberries
  • 1 tbsp + 1 tsp good honey
  • ¼ tsp of cinnamon
  • 1/8th tsp of nutmeg
  • A pinch of salt
  1. Take a small stove top safe bowl. Add the dry oatmeal, cinnamon powder, nutmeg and salt. Mix. Add the water and let it soak.
  2. While the oatmeal is soaking, rinse your blueberries and keep ready. Chop the walnuts and add both to a bowl. Swirl 1 tablespoon of honey to the walnuts and blueberries and let it stick to them.
  3. Add 1 tsp of the honey to the oatmeal mixture and then cook it for two-4 minutes (depending on the type of oatmeal you have). Keep an eye on this. Dump the whole mixture on top of the walnuts, blueberries and honey. Mix well and enjoy.
Other tips - I find that soaking the oatmeal before cooking it, makes it absorb and retain the water better. This does not make you miss the milk/cream that may be used instead of water as well.

Blueberries and oatmeal are both ridiculously good for health, specially if you make the oatmeal at home (and isn't laden with a lotttt of sugar). Combining it with walnuts will provide you with omega 3s and tryptophan (Check Wholefoods link below). The blueberries and oatmeal, have a lot of fiber to keep you feeling full AND help in weigh loss, what else do you need? I hope you have had the pleasure of having oatmeal as its meant to be and not disillusioned with the grocery store kind and if haven't had it, this is a great recipe to enjoy it at its best :)

Nutritional Information from Whole Foods:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=99

12 comments:

  1. We are a steel-cut oats family. And then each person does their own additions. This time of year your gorgeous blueberries are perfect in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing better than a bowl of oatmeal in the morning. It sticks with me for hours. Great with fresh blueberries. What a nutritious breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love oatmeal, and not just when its cold outside.....adding nuts and fruit to it only makes it better....what a great time of year to use these beautiful blueberries we have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, this has many ingredients that I love, walnuts, blueberries, oatmeal, spices, honey!

    Bon appetit!
    =:~)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how chunky and filling that bowl of oatmeal looks. I'm serving oatmeal for breakfast this morning and think I might just add some of these goodies to our hot cereal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I eat oatmeal all the time and I am always trying to find different ways to enjoy it because it is pretty bland with out mix ins:) This is another great idea, thx!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love blueberries and oatmeal, sounds good to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to try this, time to go buy some blueberries :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love oatmeal! This is a unique way to prepare it. TY

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Shree - I'm so tickled that you eat oatmeal the way I do! I never cook it cos it gets all gluey which I hate. I either bake it into my bread or fruit crumbles and pie crusts, or I eat it like you do - soaked with fruit, , cinnamon, cream and a little brown sugar. YUMMERS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Claudia - Yep I think that my be my new favorite :)
    @Mother Rimmy - Thank you, yep I agree oatmeal also seems to last than other foods. Plus it reduces cravings, at least for me :)
    @Chef Dennis, Chef Cajun Ryan - Thank you
    @Kristen - It certainly was filling :)
    @CC Recipe, Magic of Spice, Amy and Lisa - Thank you
    @Denise = How awesome :))) I love oatmeal this way - barely 'cooked'. I do love the added crunch that it adds to pies etc :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Shree, your photos make this look so enticing. I just bought a square of organic blueberries. They were so sweet and plump. I bet they would have been delicious over oatmeal with walnuts...

    ReplyDelete